Saturday, September 17, 2011

REI's return policy

Not the best red jacket money could buy.

REI has a wonderfully generous return policy: if you are every unsatisfied with any product, for any reason, return it whenever.

That red jacket in the picture?  It was advertised as a "versatile wind and rain layer."  Well, it was a great wind layer.  But it wasn't very waterproof.  Even worse, one the rain soaked in the thing took forever to dry out.  No exaggeration - it would take a few hours of sitting around in a tent before the dampness was noticeably gone.

So I did what any rational person would do - I returned it.  REI kept up their part of the bargain and refunded the entire amount.

But here's the catch - 4 months later, I sort of deeply regret that decision.  Sure, I got some money back.  But through that whole experience that jacket became part of the trip.  It's like I gave away a photo album, or something.

So, oddly, I probably won't do that again.  Next time I'll love my red jacket, with all its endearing flaws.

1 comment:

  1. jjaajja, I remember sitting in the tent waiting to dry our jackets, and you was always the last... XD.

    Saludos desde Chile!

    Tobias

    ReplyDelete