Sunday, March 27, 2011

Disculple, no hay nafta (Sorry, there is no gas)

Remember the 70s, when the government instituted price controls on gasoline, and then there wasn´t enough to go around?  And it was rationed?  And people would wait in line for hours?  Because when prices are set artificially low, it doesn´t make any sense for people to sell things below cost?

Well, Argentina is still learning that lesson.  Price controls and then ¨blame the foreign oil companies for the total lack of fuel in your town¨

And there was literally *no* gas in the town I was staying.  Two gas stations, no gas.  Nada.  The next nearest station was either 80 or 150 miles away, depending on which direction you were travelling.

But there were two Petrobras fuel trucks around the corner from the gas station.  Why were they just sitting there?  Because the staff at the gas station was taking a siesta.  They would be back at 6.

Argentina, I like you.  You are a lot of fun.  Sometimes you are great and help me out when I need help.  But sometimes you let me down like this and I wonder if we should still be friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment