Sunday, May 22, 2011

May 11 - Sucre

Sucre´s a cool city.  It´s the cleanest and most organized of the highland cities, and used to be the Spanish capital of Bolivia.  There´s still a lot of really well preserved architecture and narrow cobblestone street.  There´s also a big university, lots of cafes and good cheap eats.

I spent a day mostly catching my breath after 2 long days of driving and taking advantage of the pretty good internet connection.  There was a fantastic (and inexpensive!) french-bolivian restaurant right next to my hotel which was a great pit stop.  For $20 you can get a 3 course meal and half a bottle of wine.  I´m definitely going to miss that when I´m back in Chile.

Colorful signs on the buses.

Sucre has the big 3 college cuisines - here is Chinese, #1


Old school medical clinics.  A lot of places don´t use printed signs, just the hand-painted kind.  

Mexican, #2

and Pizza, #3

White walls and wooden and tile signs.  Very Sucre.

...and most of the menus in the restaurants are hand written on the walls too.

I´m not an electrician, but that doesn´t look so good.

The market... for me, it was look but don´t touch.  For the market people, it was all touch.  This is your meat being handled.

Lots and lots of potatoes in Bolivia.


Yogurt!


Egg and cheese mountains.


Locals hanging out in the park... preferring the ground to the bench.

Old Spanish colonial architecture.

Fresh juice.


Me after getting in after that 10 hour motorcycle ride... pretty tired, and my eyes were sore from the dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment