Monday, May 16, 2011

Stuck

Well, like a true pro, I parked my motorcycle in La Paz and locked the steering wheel.  With the parking lights on (I just discovered this is possible).

2 days later, nothing.  It´s like the bike didn´t even have a battery.

Ok, so first I tried to find some jumper cables.  Not so easy.  It was a Sunday morning.

I grabbed a taxi and asked the guy if he could drive me to a place with jumper cables.  We drove and drove, and asked and asked, but no one sells jumper cables.  There is a shortage of jumper cables in La Paz, or else no one really ever buys jumper cables, which is also plausible.

So after chatting with my taxi-drive / amateur mechanic about my options, we decided maybe we could just go to an electrician and get a few feet of insulated wire.  While it´s hard to get a jumper cable, tons of people sell all sorts of wire, so I gave it a shot.  A conductor is a conductor, right?

Next, I enlisted my taxi driver to give me jump.  And....No dice.

OK... so next step was to up the juice on the battery.  I took it out and charged it direct from the car for a half hour.  Almost.  I got the engine to start once.  But a minute later it died, and there wasn´t enough left for #2.  Close.  At this point I gave my taxi driver a heroic fare and thanked him for his help.

My next option - foolproof, hopefully, was to charge it for a good hour and a half.  But, it was a Sunday.  No mechanics (or electricistas) were open.  So I had some time to kill.  Off to the internet cafe.

The guy at the front desk of my hotel looked surprised when I walked through the door asking for my room back.  Hopefully this gets solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment